Session Rules (Auswahl)

• The fact that you are holding a musical instrument in your hands at a session does not automatically entitle you to play.
    Barry Foy, Field Guide to the Irish Music Session

The bodhrán player must not only be competent technically, but must also understand the music he is accompanying. To know the tune itself is an advantage, as also is a knowledge of the tune-player's style (Â…). Sensitivity of a social as well as of a purely musical kind is demanded of the player today. Playing with friends at a private session is probably the best situation for 'letting go'. In a more public session, however, (Â…) playing 'out of turn' is an insensivity of the highest order.
    Mícheál O Súilleabháin, The Bodhrán. An easy to learn method for the complete beginner

Why some people go to an Irish session in a pub with a new bodhrán (Â…) and then just bang away is beyond me. Music snobs (Â…) do not consider bodhrán players to be real musicians, so prove them wrong.
    Steáfán Hannigan, The Bodhrán book

When you do venture out with your drum, go with the intention of learning!
    Malachy Kearns, Secrets of the Bodhrán and how to play it

Familiarise yourself as thoroughly as possible with the music before approaching within smelling distance of a goat-skin.
    Ciaran Carson, Irish Traditional Music

If a second bodhrán player is present, it is usually a good idea for one player to take a break, rather than have both bodhráns play together.
    Gearóid O hAllmhuráin, Pocket History of Irish Traditional Music

Never start a tune yourself or batter away needlessly between tunes.
    In in doubt, don't play.
    If you go wrong, there's a good chance that you'll confuse the other musicians as well.
    The good ones can really listen!
    Conor Long, Absolute beginner's Bodhrán tutor

If you can't play a fiddle you can't play, but anyone can beat with enthusiasm and little skill on a drum to their own satisfaction, but to the annoyance of others.
    Nick Driver, Bodhrán & Bones Tutor

• hi moritz,
    echt gute beiträge,
    treffen z.T. genau meine intention/erfahrungen,
    macht echt spaß hier im forum ...
    wie versprochen, steuere ich demnächst noch einige links zu do's and dont's bei
    gruß,
    e.

• Hallihallo da draußen... :D

Hier sind die 10 Commandments, die im Web kursieren. Sie gelten für alle Musiker und ich finde sie sehr inspirierend. Nur hab ich fast keine Session erlebt, wo nicht das ein oder andere nicht eingehalten wird.

Comments wäre nicht schlecht. Mir gefällt v.a. Punkt 10.

Gruß

Mat
    8)

I. Thou shalt not ever forsake the beat.

II. Thou shalt arrange thyselves in a small circle so that thou mayest hear and see the other musicians. Thou shalt listen with thine ears to the songs and attempt to play in accord with the group; also, open thine eyes betimes to look about thee, lest there be some visual sign someone is endeavoring to send thee. Thou shalt play softly when someone lifteth his voice in song, when playing harmony, and when thou knowest not what thou is doing.

III. Thou shalt play in tune. Tune thine instrument well, and tune it often with thine electric tuner, lest the sounds emanating from thine instument be unclean.

IV. Thou shalt commence and cease playing each tune together as one, so that the noise ye make be a joyful noise, and not a heinous tinkling that goeth in fits and starts, for that is unclean, and is an abomination. Whensoever a musician sticketh forth his foot as though he were afflicted with a cramp in the fatted calf, thou must complete the rest of that verse, and then cease.

V. Thou shalt stick out thine own foot or else lift up thy voice crying "This is it !", or "Last time !" if thou hast been the one to begin the song, and it has been played sufficient times over. If the one who began a tune endeth it not by one of these signs, then the tune will just go on and on, like the Old Testament, until the listeners say, "Hark ! It all soundeth the same."

VI. Thou shalt concentrate and thou shalt not confound the music by mixing up the A part and the B part. Most songs, but not all, proceedeth according to the ancient law "AABB". But if thou sinneth in this regard, or make any mistake that is unclean, thou may atone - not by ceasing to play - but by reentering the tune in the proper place and playing on.

VII. Thou shalt be ever mindful of the key the banjo is tuned in, and play many tunes in that key, for the banjo is but a lowly instrument, which must needs be retuned each time there is a key change.

VIII. Thou shalt not speed up or slow down accidentally when playing a tune, for it is an abomination. (See commandment I)

IX. Thou shalt not, by thine own self, commence noodling off on a tune the other musicians know not, unless asked or unless thou art teaching that tune, for it is an abomination, and the other musicians will not hold thee guiltless, and shall take thee off their computer lists, yea, even unto the third and the fourth generation.

X. Thou shalt have fun and play well.

Stammsessions in Kassel und Marburg
    Instrumente: SOK-Bodhrán, Takamine-Gitarre, Dixon Low und Tin Whistle, Seiler Piano

• Hello again from Belgium;
    Nice of you guys to get this subject going in English. My German was good at school but for writing it now that's something else. For the subject; I think like all things today it has to do with respect. Respect for fellow players, the music and being able to join in. First rule is not to play out of tune and that means, not whacking and beating the drum like its your last session ever. No; gently try to get into the beat and than think about adding something to your play. Last time I encountered a chap on a session who explained to me that this moment was the only moment he could exercise and that he was intended to play all the tunes. NO WAY this isn't the way to go about it. Probably you know the saying : if there are two Bodhrans on a session, there is one to many. On the other hand I have a friend with who I play very good together, either he accompanies me or I him and together we sound like one. Musicians on sessions are very understanding but we as Bodhran players are better to be as humble as possible at sessions. And when the musicians ask for more beat, the gate is open towards more drive! All the best to all!
    Ron

• Musicians on sessions are very understanding but we as Bodhran players are better to be as humble as possible at sessions.

HI Ron,

agree in all points. But as I understand the sociocultural mechanisms in sessions, each newbie should play in respect to the others. If I am new to a session, I try to behave cautiously. I was in sessions, where new musicians or bodhran player joined in and started playing and hammering like as if the others werent there. That is of course not very suitable to extend ones "sessionlife". If one plays according to ones capabilities and is not behaving too extroverted, it should be okay always. But each session is different. :-)

I am just playing in sessions and it is always fascinating, how they work.

Greetings

Mat

Instrumente: SOK-Bodhrán, Takamine-Gitarre, Dixon Low und Tin Whistle, Seiler Piano

• My opinion also Mat!
    I always am amazed when two or three Bodhran players
    "connect". I don't mean that you have to be a "star" player, but just feel the music and connect by playing as one. Don't happens often but now and then I feel its coming all together in a session. It seems that in Germany there is a more vivid audience for sessions and the Bodhran or am I wrong? I would like to visit you out there on a workshop or else. Perhaps at Rolf's workshop one day. I love Irish Trad. Best wishes,
    Ron

• :))

Well, I dont know if I can make it on a workshop next time. In fact, I am trying hard to play better on my other instruments as well, more tunes and better ornamentations.

Nice to have you here on board, Ron.

;)

• Thanks Mat;
    I like this forum and had nice chats here. Like you I play different instruments and the whistle is among my favourits. Practice, practice, practice that's my device. Take care and maybe until one day..
    Ron

• Hi Ron and Mat,

Good discussion here. I think there are few sessions where a stranger with a bodhran is greeted warmly so I never assume that I will have the opportunity to play. I also play whistle so it helps if I can start with that, but I always ask for permission to play first. Every session seems to have its own social rules but I agree that respect is most important. I like to think that our session here in Des Moines is friendly to new players. If someone walks in with an instrument, we ask them about their experience with Irish music and invite them to sit with the group if they are comfortable with that. Most of them are polite enough to listen to a few tunes before joining in. One time we were surprised to see a woman bring in a cello. She didnÂ’t know any of our tunes but she listened and asked questions and now she comes back often and learns a little more each time. She does not know many tunes yet but we love the sound she adds when she plays and we are glad we invited her to join us.

My wife and I will visit San Diego California in November and I hope to play in a session or two while we are there. We are also going to Irish Fests in Kansas City and Chicago next month so hopefully some good sessions there too.

LG
    Dean

• Hi Dean,
    I think you are also spot on. Often some people just don't know how session rules (if I may use the expression) function. Often musicians who aren't use to play in them.
    The basic rules I have always used are :
    -Begin by introducing yourself and your instrument; in our case the Bodhran.
    -Ask friendly if you can join in or play along or try to get them to listen to a "sample" of your capabilities.
    -Never overplay any other, nore by Bodhran, nore by other instrument.
    -During the session ask if you perform to other musicians satisfaction; often critisism is outed after you are gone and its better to ask if you play well enough during the session inbeyween tunes.
    -Know your stuff; that is also the tunes!!!
    -In case of several Bodhrans, take turns or play very soft, Bodhrans tend to overtake the session and are sometimes too loud for the liking of other musicians.
    -Last but not least : enjoy yourself and be a bit respectful to one another; discussions on sessions are not done.
    -Try not to solo too much, a gentle rythm is more appreciated than a technical demonstration.
    On the other hand I was asked in Antwerp on the last session to start a Bodhran jam with three other Bodhran players; that is the moment to let the drum roar, if the others really ask for it!
    My own opinion is that like you guys I love to play sessions; one of the last was in Kent; a little village, local players; very traditional Irish; with a main sessioneer calling or better shouting the tunes. Me and my wife had a swell evening that time! Take care and enjoy your sessions!
    Ron

• Hi Ron, hi Dean,

I could not agree more with your postings.

A session should keep the spirit alive. That means imho, that new musicians should have a warm welcome and should have at least one or the other try on their instruments, even odd instruments. I was in a session in bavaria, when a man with a huge tube joined in. It fitted very well in some of the tunes. The instrument is often used in bavaria to accompany for example polkas. It is nice to hear it in a session at a time.

cu

Mat

• *Klugscheißermodus an*

"tube" bedeutet laut Langenscheidt:
    1. Röhre, Rohr (In diesem Zusammenhang evtl. ein Whiskey-Tube?
    2. Schlauch (Ganz klar: son Heulschlauch! Interessanter Versuch...)
    3. Tube (Zahnpasta? Diese Session-Regel wird oft noch vernachlässigt...)
    4. U-Bahn (OK, in Kombination mit 1. auf jeden Fall die sichere Lösung)

Fragt sich nun, was man bei einer Session am besten dabei hat!?
    Ich glaube, Du meinst "tuba"...

*Klugscheißermodus aus*

...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more!

• Moin,

tube [mus.] die Tuba

jedenfalls auf LEO. Da steh ich normalerweise drauf, aber vielleicht irren die sich auch mal und es heißt tatsächlich tuba. Es gibt anscheinend tuba player, also gut möglich, dass ihr Recht habt, ihr Rechthaber.

Jedenfalls sind die Übersetzungen auf LEO diesmal zweifelhaft. Was sagen denn die Englisch-Spezialisten hier im Forum? Sven? Michael? Rolf?

:D LEO

• Hallo freunde,
    Tube ist rohr.
    Tube ist nicht U-bahn (nuhr dialect für U-bahn=subway=underground). Unt nicht slauch (slauch ist "hose" in stiff English).
    Die grund das wir English benützen auf dieses forum ist das unseres Deutsch nicht so gut ist. Warscheinlich sint falten zu finden in dieses bericht. Mit einander reden ist einfager. Tube,tuba who cares Mat? For me the message was clear!The most important thing is that we understand eachother!
    English is universal and I am pleased that I can express myself in that language here on this forum! Making faults is what we do. (You should hear me play the whistle :D )
    I like this forum!!!!And I like sessions!!!!!!!!!!
    Ron

• Hi Ron and forum

Everything is fine. I like playing with the language, so I am always curious about odd words or expressions.

:D

I always laugh when I find things like that in Ireland:

Take your seat (in the bus) - what would the driver say if I would take the seat home

Take away (fast food) - I could take the food and run away...

Just for pleasure.

Sesssions are always a great experience and so the forum is...

Cheers

Mat