Some advice and teaching

• Hello everyone. I hope this gets translated in the right language. I am from Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia ,Canada. I've been on the forum for only a short time as a reader, but now I have the nerve up to post something. I've only been playing for 12 months, and I have been learning much of what I can do from various Youtube sites and hours and hours of practice. I have finally had the chance to perform in front of a large crowd and into a mic system. The only trouble is that the sound was being played out to the crowd and not through a monitor back at me. It was difficult to control the tones and notes and with that style of "open mic" appears to be very high in " the treble scale". Please listen to this short peice and you will see what I mean.

( using a CH LL2.0 , Power rods and SW3)

I know that this is not the best playing in the world. This was my first time in front a a crowd and I felt a little "rushed" to get through the peice. I was sitting for quite sometime before I went up on stage and lost a little "mojo" .

I plan to return to this type of venue and continue to play as much as I can in front of as many people as I can. I have to feel comfortable as I do at home in the studio. So.

When playing into "open mic" is there anything I can do to make things sound a little better?

Any suggestions and advice and critique at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

• English to German translation
    Hallo an alle. Ich hoffe, dies in die richtige Sprache übersetzt wird. Ich bin aus Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia, Kanada. Ich habe auf dem Forum nur für eine kurze Zeit als Leser, aber jetzt habe ich die Nerven bis zu etwas posten. Ich habe nur für 12 Monate gespielt, und ich habe viel zu lernen, was ich kann aus verschiedenen Websites YouTube und Stunden und Stunden der Praxis zu tun. Endlich habe ich die Chance hatte, vor einer großen Menschenmenge und in ein Mikrofon System durchzuführen. Das einzige Problem ist, dass der Sound ausbezahlt wurde, um die Menge gespielt und nicht durch einen Monitor zu mir zurück. Es war schwierig, die Töne und Noten und die diesen Stil von "open mic" Kontrolle zu sein scheint sehr hoch "die Höhen-Skala". Bitte hören Sie diese kurzes Stück und du wirst sehen was ich meine.

(Mit CH LL2.0, Power Stangen und SW3)

Ich weiß, dass dies nicht das beste Spiel der Welt. Dies war meine erste Mal vor Publikum aa und ich fühlte mich ein wenig "gehetzt", das Werk zu erhalten. Ich war auf der Sitzung ziemlich einmal, bevor ich ging auf die Bühne und verlor ein wenig "mojo".

Ich plane, diese Art von Veranstaltungsort zurückkehren und weiterhin so viel spielen wie ich kann vor so vielen Menschen wie ich kann. Ich habe wohl zu fühlen, wie ich zu Hause im Studio zu tun. Also.

Bei der Wiedergabe in "open mic" ist es, was ich tun, um die Dinge ein wenig besser klingen kann?

Anregungen und Ratschläge und Kritik überhaupt wäre willkommen.

Listen
    Read phoneticallyDictionary - View detailed dictionary

• Thes sound of the video is horrible, really difficult to give you some advise. it seems to me, that the tuning of the drum is very high, but there could be some other reasons, why I can´t hear any bass: style (you´re not playing any bass?), micro (bad thing?), PA (bad thing?)...

Greetings to Canada, and a warm welcome here in the forum.....the translation is sometimes very funny, I think most people in this yelo forum are abel to speak and write good english so feel free to post in "canadian" english.

Sven

• Hi Randy!
    A very warm welcome to you!
    I think along the same way; The video seems to clip off all the bass tones so it is not possible to judge by that. But you probably find an opportunity to record at home, which might do much better...
    Feel free to write in english, I think it is mostly more easy to understand than whatever any translation machine makes of your posts.
    Cheers!
    Gyde

...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more!

• Hi Randy,

in opposite to what the others said, in my ears the problem is not the sound quality of the video itself. Especially as you describe the live sound exactly like it's to be heard in the video. I think there should be three things to consider when miking up your bodhrán next time:

1. The mike doesn't seem to be appropriate. If you search teh forum for "mikrophon" or "mikrofon" you may find a lot of hints on what mikes to use
    2. The position of the mike is not proper. If you take a look at the video again, you will find that the mike doesn't point in the direction of the drum, instead it's directed to some point under the drum. And it's far away. Better would be to make it point directly to the drum, around 10-15 cm away from the upper rim and around 10-15 cm from the upper rim in the direction of the center
    3. Maybe that happened because of the wrong direction, to get more gain, the mike is equalized really badly. Try to put all the frequencies to zero, then maybe slightly(!) enhance the bass or the upper grequencies (depending on mike, speakers, preferred sound...). Don't mess around too much with the EQ!

That's my 2 cent, I hope, it will help you a bit!

Micha

• Thank you all for your advice and comments. I will try to produce some other footage with some better sound quality. In this part of the world, there is not alot of resources ( besides the internet and email etc) to be able to refer to when it comes to teaching and advice. I will consult with this forum in the future for future questions.

Thanks again.

Randy